Last Updated on by SteakEat
7 Best Gas Grills Under $500 in 2018
PUBLISHED ON: 4 JUL 2017
UPDATED ON : 01 May 2018
Brought to You by SteakEat.com
If you love steaks, then you must love grilling!
If you are looking for the best gas grill and your budget is limited to $500, then this is the guide for you.
Today I help you with finding the best device possible and…let’s get right to it!
The Old Battle: Gas vs Charcoal Grill
There are two main types of grills: Charcoal and Gas operated.
Why is one better than the other..?
Here is a quick overview…
Why Gas is Better?
- Gas grills allow for more control of temperatures than a charcoal grill but produce less smoke.
- Gas grills fire up faster than charcoal and allow more even-tempered cooking.
- Unlike charcoal grills, gas grills are easier to clean up.
- Gas grills allow for more control of temperatures than a charcoal grill but produce less smoke (which should add flavor complexity).
- While charcoal grills are said to be cheaper and impart more flavor to meat, gas grills tend to burn a lot cleaner.
- Unlike charcoal grills, gas grills do not emit additives or other potentially harmful substances into the atmosphere or cause pollution. Green power! 🙂
Why Charcoal is Better?
- Charcoal grills produce more heat than their gas counterparts and are less costly.
- Charcoal grills can also brown steaks a bit better, as they emit more intense infrared heat.
- Grilling meats from charcoal burning tends to create more complex flavors than food prepared on a gas grill.
What Do You Need a Gas Grill For?
Do you need a grill for the occasional barbecue or large-scale catering for family or business?Some grills come with 3, 4 or even 5 burners, depending on your needs.If you like open flame grilling, then you will need at least three burners on your grill. If your grill is more than 3 feet wide, you will need at least four burners.Burners are usually made of tubular stainless steel, cast stainless steel or cast brass. Tubular stainless steel is the best buy. They experience little or no corrosion.
The 3 Types of Gas Grills to Consider
Stand-alone or freestanding grills sit on their cart or stand and are best suited for smaller families or occasional events.
One advantage is that you can move them around to suit your needs or type of outdoor function. Stand-alone grills can be strategically placed near to the kitchen for easy access to additional items as needed.
Built-ins are best suited to large families or if you plan to cater for big events. They fit into a counter-top or kitchen island. Your family or guests can be entertained nearby while you fire up.
Portable grills are used mainly for persons who like camping, tail-gaiting or picnicking on a regular basis. They attach easily to your car, van or SUV and you are ready to go.
Some portable grills can be folded down to fit into your vehicle for ease of handling, toting and storage. They are not recommended for long distances over uneven terrain, or backpacking or walking.
3 Things to Keep In Mind When Choosing the Best Gas Grill
Here are the 3 things to keep in mind, when choosing a grill under 500 USD:
#1: Better Burners
The burners are important. Choose those that are in proportion to the size of your grill. If the burners are too small, you may experience “cold” areas where some parts get more heat than others.
#2: Good Heat Distribution
Uneven heating will result in some foods, especially meats, being underdone or uneven. Meals need to be cooked at the same rate throughout the grill.
Safeguard your purchase by ensuring that replacement parts are available if required.
I recommend you look for a grill with, at least, 10-year warranty (lifetime is the best).
Propane Grill vs Natural Gas Grill
Do I choose propane or natural..?
Propane gas is the more popular option. It can be toted almost anywhere. The only down-side is the need to refill from time to time or have extra gas on hand.
Natural gas is a permanent connection installed through your home’s plumbing system. While there is no need no refill, it limits where you can set up your grill.
I recommend you go for propane, because it is more flexible.
4 Tips on How to Stay Safe When Grilling
Safety should be paramount.
Here are 4 useful tips I recommend you consider.
#1: Keep Steaks Separate
Cross-contamination can occur when you prepare multiple foods at the same time. Always season and marinate foods like meat, poultry, and fish in separate containers.It’s best to use individual cutting boards and utensils for raw foods. Cooked foods should also be stored separately.
#2: Use a RefrigeratorMarinating imparts added flavors and protects the meat from harmful carcinogens when exposed to heat. After you marinate, store in the refrigerator until cooking time.It is recommended to use a separate marinate or reserve extras for basting while the meat is on the grill. Do not use the same marinating sauce to baste your meat.
#3: Useful AddonUse a Chimney starter to get your fires going. It will eliminate the need for lighter fuel and kindling that can become combustible.
#4: Don’t Let It BurnFat falling into flames can cause flare-ups and allow potential carcinogens to drop onto your food. It can also compromise the flavors of your meat. Trim extra skin and fat from fatty meats or choose leaner cuts.
Always keep some water on hand to extinguish unexpected flare-ups if they occur.
Best Gas Grills Under 500 US Dollars – 2018 Edition
Weber Spirit E310
The Weber Spirit E310 LP Gas Grill is complete with everything you need to have a wonderful time grilling. What’s more it all comes in a portable and affordable package.
– Sturdily built;- Easy to assemble and use;- Good heat control;
– Complaints of the Porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates rusting after a while;
Char-Broil Performance 650
The Char Broil Performance 650 6-Burner Cabinet Gas Grill is one of the most economically viable ways of enjoying an awesome grilling experience. It is well built and really gets the job done.
– Good quality build;
– Ample cooking space;- Easy to clean;- Ample storage space;
– Arrived damaged a couple of times, but customer service did its job really well;
The Blackstone 36 inch Stainless Steel Outdoor Flat Top Gas Grill is a professional quality grill designed for restaurant style cooking.
You can cook everything on this grill.
– Sturdily built with heavy-duty materials
– Has an even heat distribution
– Different cooking options
– Grease runs back under the drain channel and down the leg of the stand making a mess.
Char-Broil Performance 475
Get the Char Broil Performance 475 4-Burner Cabinet Gas Grill and begin to enjoy the joys of outdoor grilling at a very affordable price.
– Ample cooking space;- Easy to use;- Easy to clean;- Ample storage and work space;
– There was a report of the grill being hot enough, but it seemed like an isolated case;
Char-Broil’s Signature is a real beast with 18000 main burner BTU.You can also store it rather comfortably with the foldable side shelves.If necessary, the grill can be easily converted from liquid propane to natural gas.
– Reliable spark at every burner- Easy to store- Even heat for even cooking- Extremely durable porcelain coated cast iron grates- Cool design allows for additional storage cabinet right inside the grill
– It’s not clear when the gas controls are set to high- The back is open so anything you try to store inside can fall out the back
Monument Grills 4-Burner
If you are looking for a great grill that’s well built and offers some fantastic cooking experience…Yeap, this is the option for you to consider.It offers great value for the price and comes very well packed!
– Easy to assemble and instructions are there if you need them- Super-fast to heat up and cooks very evenly- Also has an awesome sear feature for enhanced flavor- Cleaning is very easy- Terrific value for the money!
– One of the supplied batteries was dead (maybe a once-off thing)- Some issues with delivery were reported, but that doesn’t affect grill quality
Dyna-Glo DGE Series
With a total of 52,000 BTUs of cooking power, this grill comes packed with power.It is very easy to put together once it arrives and its quality speaks for itself – the grill is built to last.
– Available in 3 colors – Bronze, Stainless and Gunmetal- Comes with an integrated temperature gauge for grill zone temperature measurement- Excellent customer service from the company…in case you need anything- Electro pulse ignition helps with the quick start
– Burners do not light from one to the other, so you have to use the lighter for each one- Arrived damaged on a couple of occasions
Few More Options for You
[tcb-script async=”” src=”//z-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/onejs?MarketPlace=US&adInstanceId=be1bd2e7-37ab-4e7d-ad18-3e208c712a38″][/tcb-script]
Want to Cook a Perfect Steak?
You buy a steak to cook at home.
Once you are ready, you realize that you have no idea how to actually cook it so it’s juicy, tender and delicious.
This is when SteakEat comes in with more than 40 FREE cooking guides, which explain just that – how to cook a perfect steak.
Learn more about SteakEat here.
Copyright 2017, SteakEat.com – Home – Contact – Disclaimer